The last year and a half of the pandemic have converted remote working into a viable way of working – that really works.
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the world to change its routines and behaviour. In the world of business, minimising losses and maintaining performance and production has been a complex challenge to solve.
Among the resources that have helped companies to minimise the damage suffered by the consequences of the pandemic, remote working is positioned as a fundamental tool that is not just viable, it really works.
What is remote working?
Remote working is a flexible alternative to organise the work of a company, where employees can carry out their activity outside the workplace. Remote working can be either part-time or full-time.
Remote working can be carried out from the employee’s own home, or from remote working centres or co-working spaces.
It requires the technical infrastructure to carry out remote work: computer devices, cloud technology, online platforms, project management tools, etc.
It is simple to offer this equipment to employees, making it easy to integrate remote working into companies.
Advantages and disadvantages of remote working
As companies begin to offer more remote working alternatives for their employees, the advantages and disadvantages of this way of working are becoming more apparent. Let’s take a look at the most common:
Advantages of remote working
- Greater efficiency. With the right tools and flexible hours, employees can work anytime, anywhere, staying more focused and productive.
- Uninterrupted work. Without the need to travel, remote employees avoid a large number of delays (for example, due to traffic or weather), promoting improved performance.
- Reduce employee turnover. A flexible workplace raises morale and reduces employee turnover rates. Improved employee retention reduces recruitment, hiring, and training expenses for the company.
- Improved quality of life. The flexibility of working outside the workplace allows employees to have a better work-life balance, improving the quality of life.
- Global talent recruitment. Technology means that companies can expand their scope for selection processes to a global level.
- Greater monitoring and control. Due to the increase in remote working, a range of control devices and tools have been developed, offering real and transparent control of employee performance.
- Lower cost for companies. The higher the percentage of employees working remotely, the less physical work space is required, and the lower the cost for companies (rent of office premises, etc.).
Disadvantages of remote working
- Emotional detachment. Non-presential work increases the chances of detachment, demotivation, and loss of enthusiasm for the company.
- Lack of collaboration. Working remotely minimises collaboration and teamwork, although many online meeting and communication tools exist.
- Issues with control. For many companies, remote working is presented as a problem to be managed and controlling working hours and the tasks performed by employees can be an issue.
Remote working has also exposed a need for online training in companies, facilitating the training of employees on various important topics such as Workplace Risk Prevention.
Advice for efficient remote working
Today, remote working is an important part of today’s companies. Employees must apply a series of actions and adopt a specific behaviour to get the most out of this way of working:
- Plan the day and your breaks.
- Stick to a routine.
- Keep working as a team and stay in contact with colleagues through the online tools provided.
- Don’t work more than you should do.
Remote working has now become an integral part of company activity, improving the quality of life and work of employees and the management of companies.
Consult our team for training in Remote Working best practices. It is important that companies know that their OHS obligations also apply to remote working and it is important for the employee to know how to work remotely so as to remain productive and to take care of their health.